Monday, November 18, 2013

I'm Ready to PARTTTTTY!

We got mom home stabilized with 24/7 care with hospice as a support system. Her favorite caretaker is Jane. Jane drives her to Burger King, to Foster City lagoon and takes her to her weekly hair appointment. It is expensive to have care around the clock but I offered to have Mom stay with us and she kind of gave me the crazy eyes. There is certainly moments of pure clarity.

The night before Easter I got a call in the middle of the night. It was my worst fear. It was Mom's number in the auto dial. I answered with hesitation thinking the worst, "Hello?" "Hiya! It's Mom. I am ready to parttyyyy". When I type this, I am trying to accentuate the "t" like she did when she said it. I responded "Mom, it's 2:00 in the morning. You need to go back to bed. Besides the party is not for 12 hours"...and she says again "I am ready to parttyyy"...I had to laugh. What has happened is this shift from a mom who use to worry all the time and would never have called me in the middle of the night for fear of disturbing my sleep, to a mom that was embracing the moment. Living every day, actually every hour to the fullest. She had found rose colored glasses. And so, I decided to find a pair and wear them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment